[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Alex Amsel tuna at tunatech.com
Fri Feb 9 18:09:46 EST 2007

This is obviously my day for disagreeing. Must be the early alarm call
for my taxi, late plane, flat tyre on my return from Amsterdam, and then
my car being snowed in & my luggage breaking while dragging it home.
Other than that I had a good time!

Patents and games. NO NO NO. Sorry mate, but I strongly disagree with
the idea of patenting game concepts/techniques. We'd never get anything
done - you can trace Gears of War back to Space Invaders. Now imagine if
everything was patented. We wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

What's more, you may struggle to do it in most territories - certainly
Europe and the US. There are some very specific things you can patent,
so I can't say whether you fit those cases, but as a general rule you
can't patent gameplay. However, there are one or two funny patents
around, particularly in Japan.

Games are protected (to some extent) through look and feel, which is why
reskinning is allowed but using or imitating characters - or certain
other looks - is not. This is Copyright protection and not Patent
protection.

I'm quite prepared to be corrected on this by our on list lawyer, but
hopefully I've got it broadly correct.

Apart from anything else, patenting is not the cheapest process in the
world to say the least, especially when dealing in multiple territories,
and protecting them even less so. Patents can be very powerful, but make
sure you know what you're dealing with (as your email implies that you
maybe aren't sure, correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck, whatever you decide.