[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Wed Feb 14 13:17:34 EST 2007

There's always the ability to improve on an existing invention to make a new
one. If the original idea is patented, you just have to make sure that your
idea is a noticeable improvement. In other words, patents encourage
innovation by removing the ability to make a direct copy. You either
innovate, or you don't release. The only people that get hurt are the ones
who cannot innovate. (In practice this isn't true under the current system,
which is precisely why I said it's broken ...)

And as for making an invention "the exclusive playground of the original
developer" - yes. That's the entire point. It's definitely possible for the
person holding the patent to license it for free/cheap, or to charge an arm
and a leg. But they invented it. It's theirs.

I'm sorry - but if you think it's ok to rip of someone else's ideas so you
can make a buck then you're just a thief and in general a really crappy
person. If you can't come up with your own ideas then you shouldn't be
making games. And that's how I feel about every one of the knock-offs that
make up the majority of the game releases in casual games. Simply using a
different character, or changing the images from gems to flowers isn't a
sufficient difference to warrant a new game, but it's currently enough to
get a new casual game up on the portals.

Tom