[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Adultswim Games games at adultswim.com
Wed Feb 14 14:26:34 EST 2007

What you're saying potentially true, but it also relies on the idea that
innovation is a straight line from one idea to another. Could Half-life
and Counterstrike have been made if we didn't have scores of Quake
clones in between? The virtue of having those clones seems to me to be
less about direct innovation, but about letting more people play in the
space. Maybe the person with the next innovative addition to the
gameplay didn't work at id. But since he can't get his hands on it, he
can't figure out what to do next, so you're stuck with the same people
hacking away at the same problems and likely coming up with the same
solutions. Innovation seems to me to be what occurs when you realize
what's wrong with thing in front of you. If there's nothing in front of
you, or just one example of the thing, then it's going to be that much
harder to come by.

To me, the bottom line is that we all remember Quake. We remember these
copycats as Quake Clones. If that's not strengthening the brand's
dominance over the genre, I don't know what is.

Chris Pasley
AdultSwim.com
RunBinary.com