[casual_games] Clones in casual (was RE: Gameplay patents)

Robert Gordon rob at article19.com
Wed Feb 14 16:42:31 EST 2007

One quick comment from the peanut gallery...I'm no genius when it comes to
understanding market forces, but if games are getting more expensive to make
and less profitable over time for the developer, does this not eventually
lead to a number of studios folding, thereby decreasing the amount of
content, thereby increasing margins, etc.? It seems that everyone and his
brother is making a casual game these days - and perhaps that's as much of
an issue as the 'unlimited digital shelf space' of the portals?

Personal prediction: Over the next months/years portals will begin to
distinguish themselves by offering more exclusive content (or at least
portal-modified content). I wonder how that might affect some of the issues
you raise...

r o b

> [...]

> make enough of a return on their investment to cover costs.

> If you dump a few billion tons of gold on the market, gold prices drop

> everywhere and no one makes any money on gold (except the traders who take a

> piece of every transaction regardless) and people who have invested money in

> gold expecting to sell it at a certain price are suddenly losing money. You

> can either continue putting more gold into the system to try to get some

> cash out of the rapidly diminishing rates and make things worse or you can

> cut back on gold mining and get things to stabilize at a practical price

> before the whole thing collapses.

> Right now in casual/web there's a seemingly limitless supply of games (gold)

> and everyone is producing as much as they can. The portals (traders) don't

> care if they put up 10 games or 100 .. They still sell X number of ads and Y

> downloads and make their money on the volume of transactions. While the

> market is growing with new users each year, that growth isn't keeping pace

> with the increase in the amount of content. The net result is that

> developers get a smaller portion of the pie. The factors are compounded by

> other things as well, but those other factors (more people in the value

> chain) are caused by overhead in the quantity of games.

> I'm basing this on a few trends I've observed through (admittedly) anecdotal

> evidence over the past several years. You can judge for yourself if they

> match your understanding.

> 1. Conversion rates for the average new game have gone down over the past

> several years, from 3% to 1%.

> 2. Percentage of revenue for developers has reduced as a combination of more

> people in the value chain, and rates are reduced at major portals.

> 3. Cost to create a title has increased.

> 4. Number of new titles released each year has exploded (from a handful per

> month to as many as 1 a day)

> 5. Number of portals has increased, each with their own trials (allowing

> users to play the same game for 10+ hours without paying for it)

> 6. Bundling/subscription deals reduce the unit cost of items and spread

> revenues out over multiple developers.

> The key point here is that developers make less money when more games are

> being created and ... assuming ad prices hold ... portals make more money by

> releasing more games. The net result is that they're happy as pie to take

> everything we throw at them since it's better for them. They don't care that

> it's worse for us.

> This says nothing of the increased difficulty in getting your title

> recognized. It used to be that a title would be in the "What's new" category

> with high visibility for a month. Now it's more like a week. As the quantity

> of content increases, that number could go down to a day.

> There's a lot more to all of this and our ability to do anything about it is

> extremely limited, but that's why discussing it over a drink at GDC is more

>>> Tom