[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Kim Pallister kimpall at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 14 18:55:24 EST 2007

Adding a point to Tom's:

> the one group that could do something about copycats (the portals) have no financial incentive for doing so (they're turning to advertising to solve the financial problems they create).

Putting on my portal hat... (which I hope doesn't come with can-of-worms-opening gloves)

There is an incentive, though it's indirect, and that's in favoring the developer partners who develop original content, with the intent that a better relationship there will bear fruit down the road.

We've taken a stance on this. Granted, it's a bit of a 'soft shoe' stance, but it's something.

(from our games acceptance criteria found at: http://www.microsoftcasualgames.com/developers_resources.htm)

" 'Clone' games: Games that mimic other titles may receive additional scrutiny. We understand that most games draw upon many elements of their predecessors. That being said, MSN Games has received games that were transparently obvious copies of popular casual game titles. Since these 'clones' typically have very little new of value to add, we may opt to not accept such a title for distribution. We do this both as a service to our end customers (limiting excessive selection), and to our developer partners (rewarding those who innovate). We should emphasize that we only do this in the most egregious examples. Adding something as simple as a new twist on a proven mechanic, a different theme/treatment, or a different game mode may be enough to deem it different and thus not an outright 'clone'."

Ok, so your next question is, "have you ever turned away a title as a result of this?". Yes. Only a few, but we have done it. I'm not naming them either. Please don't ask

It's a tricky business, this. A game might be an outright copy wrt gameplay mechanic, but with "flower" treatment in place of "pirates", and hey, for some customers, that is a *different* game.

Kim Pallister
Business Development Manager
Microsoft Casual Games

Message: 4