[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Wed Feb 14 19:30:27 EST 2007

Kim,

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that with the Microsoft acceptance criteria and I
applaud you for it.

However, the point I was going after falls under the flowers vs pirates
example you gave. The portal is more than happy to take a game that is the
same but with flowers instead of pirates. It's a different enough game to
consumers, and that's fine because portals make more money selling 150 units
of the flowers + the pirate game than selling 100 units from just the
pirates game. At that level of scale and given the difference in themes, I
can even almost see that being justified. The icky part starts when you have
a pirate theme, a flower theme, a fruit theme, and a spaceship theme, all
for essentially the same game. Sure the portal picks up some additional
revenues from each one, but it's a diminishing return and the effects are
spread over all the developers so the guy making the pirate game loses sales
to the guy making the rest of em. Even worse, at what point do the customers
realize that there's no reason to buy the pirates game because they can just
go download the space, fruit, and flowers game and get another 3 hours of
game play - and if they go to other portals and download them they can get
even more free play.

They don't do that in droves - but can quickly figure out that they can if
they want to spend the energy. Once you know that it's out there you get to
make a choice - do I go download it again or buy it? Well, if I'm going to
download it again, I may as well download something else. Rinse repeat. It's
great for keeping people coming back to the portal, but not so great for
developers trying to make a living on conversion revenue.

An even more insidious way of looking at it - The portals make money when
the customers are at the portal looking at ads. If they buy a game and "go
dark" for a month while they play the heck out of it, the portal can't
monetize them. However, if they're downloading/playing lots of a games and
not buying things then the portal gets to show them ads which is where their
real money is. The portal's perfect scenario is if the customers have just
enough fun to keep em coming back, but not enough fun to actually buy
something!

ok - that's too paranoid - right???

Tom