[casual_games] Origin of the term "casual games" (Milt Michael)

Kevin Gliner kgliner at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 14:51:18 EST 2007

Scott Kim makes reference to "casual gamers" as far back as the 1998 GDC
(http://www.scottkim.com/thinkinggames/cgdc98.html). That refers to players
and not game types, although that might be a minor distinction given his
area of expertise.

I also have a vague recollection of a thread about casual games on the old
GEnie JCGD Roundtable (forum), which would have been sometime between 1992
and 1995 I'd guess. Only I can't remember if they were called casual games
or light games or what. I couldn't find an archive of the forum via a quick
google search, but perhaps one of the regular contributors saved those
discussions.

Kevin