[casual_games] If Vista is going to be such a problem...

Matthew Douglass mdouglass at mind-control.com
Wed Jan 3 15:56:34 EST 2007

Alex,

OK, had another thought and realized more about what was going on and I need
to correct my earlier email. I do see the error message your QA dept sees
if I try to get to the game via the Start Menu instead of via the Games
Explorer.

Since Parental Controls blocks the entire folder in which your game is
installed to, I think I am going to have to take the following steps to work
around the Start Menu shortcuts not working:

1) Create a stub executable in a folder separate from the game

2) Link the start menu shortcut to the stub executable

3) Have the stub executable make the check with parental controls to
see if the game will be allowed to run (this can be done via
IGameExplorer::VerifyAccess).

4) If it can run then go ahead and run it, otherwise throw up an error
message explaining why.

Definitely a pain in the butt to do all this, but I don't see any other way
to get start menu icons working. Shame it is that way.

Matthew