[casual_games] slamdance competition

Luc Van den Borre luc at nuclide.com
Wed Jan 10 11:30:41 EST 2007

Jeff Murray wrote:

> What I don't understand at all is why this guy is getting support for

> his cause. He's made a sick, tasteless statement in the indie game world

> and for some stupid reason people are trying to make out that slamdance

> are somehow oppressing the dude or that they are some evil empire out to

> destroy the fabric of independent gaming - he's the underdog? Call me

> traditional, but I like to support causes that deserve ... not some

> kid's idea of getting some publicity at the cost of other peoples

> suffering.

The 'kid', Danny Ledonne, is to be commended for taking on a difficult
subject in a novel way. I am glad he did and I hope others will follow
with even more challenging (and possibly better made) games. He is a
true indie who had a vision and put in a great deal of effort to realize
it - I hope we will see more of him.

In fact, I hope we will see a golden age of unconventional, imaginative
games that ruffle people's feathers and cause a reaction in society at
large. We need indie developers and indie festivals for this to ever
happen, which is why Slamdance's decision is all the more sad.

Games can have artistic merit - which necessitates open-minded and
informed contemplation, not a reactionary attitude.

Luc Van den Borre,
Nuclide.com