[casual_games] slamdance competition

Christopher Natsuume natsuume at boomzap.com
Wed Jan 10 13:54:16 EST 2007

Just a thought to add to this:

Perhaps some of the perceived anger from people who don't understand why a
game about Columbine should be protected is based on the fact that a lot of
us who have made a living in games for a very long time are already fighting
an uphill battle getting our mainstream commercial games accepted as a valid
form of art worth protecting - not only in the states but abroad - and
things like this don't make our fight any easier. In fact, they make things
much, much harder.

Having produced Far Cry while living in Bavaria, the current talk of turning
developing "Killerspiel" (killer games) into a criminal offense in Germany
makes me a bit. nervous. Was that game art? Hell, I don't know, but it was
good fun, and had similar levels of violence to R rated Hollywood movies
shown freely in Germany at worst. And yet, because we are a "game" a
different standard applies to us. And that needs to change. But we're going
to have to be smart about changing that, and I'm not sure "rubbing the
public's nose in it" by making Columbine themed games or having Hot Coffee
in GTA is the right path to winning the trust of the public.

I guess my point is - let's maybe fight these battles one by one? Before we
fight for our right to make games about Columbine, and give the
censorship-happy government more fuel to fight us with, maybe we should
develop consumer trust in our ability to produce high quality adult-themed
entertainment that is not nearly so inflammatory, and develop a legal and
moral precedent for games as legitimate art?

Just my 2 cents.

Cn

_____