[casual_games] DoCoMo and Apple

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Fri Jan 12 13:35:09 EST 2007

Open platforms beat closed platforms? Maybe in the long run -- but in
the long run we'll all be dead. In the medium run, consoles, all
closed, seem to be hammering PCs into the turf, yes?

I do have some hope -- PCs are getting to be very cheap, with _slightly_
better driver quality, and consoles are becoming outrageously expensive.
Maybe economics will play a role.

As to the iPhone -- my guess is, Cingular (soon to resume the AT&T name)
wouldn't hear of an open platform. Those pesky carriers.

Hal

Lennard Feddersen wrote:

> I released several Tapwave Zodiac titles - aside from DRM signing, what

> was closed about that platform?

> Lennard Feddersen

> CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.

> www.RustyAxe.com

> Lennard at RustyAxe.com

> P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466

> P. July & August 518-863-2317

> 5014 Walsh, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4H2

> Gabor Forrai wrote:

>> Juan

>> I think Apple dont have the similar open minded ideas as DoCoMo has.

>> I think Apple is making this things with the "closed platform" idea on the

>> bad way...maybe could be nice to read for them everything about the

>> Tapwave Zodiac story....another closed platform, a gaming pda with Palm

>> os, a 2.5d video chip, same nice resolution (480x320), and a sad end, they

>> have bancrupted last year.

>> Anyway..im sure that Bejeweled will be there so make a multi million

>> bestseller and im sure every gates on the apple (what a strange analogy)

>> will to open. :)

>> Best

>> Gabor.Forrai

>> Director of Development

>> Catmoon Games

>>> Von: casual_games-bounces at igda.org [mailto:casual_games-bounces at igda.org]

>>> Im

>>> Auftrag von Juan Gril

>>> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2007 21:01

>>> An: IGDA Casual Games SIG Mailing List

>>> Betreff: Re: [casual_games] Casual_Games Digest, Vol 21, Issue 9

>>> Sorry Alex, thanks for the clarification. Although I have to say I

>>> disagree.

>>> There is a company in Japan called "DoCoMo", and they have a completely

>>> open

>>> system, even with billing integration and revenue sharing, and last time I

>>> checked it seems that it's doing pretty well...

>>> Oh and Andreas, sorry to be me the one revealing this to you, but that's

>>> Apple response for "no, we are not interested".

>>> Cheers,

>>> Juan

>>> On 1/11/07, Andreas Schneider - GAMGO <gamgo at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> when the iPod video was launched I ask Apple if it is possible to develop

>>> for iPod. I got a nice answer that it is only possible to special partners

>>> at the moment - but that they put us on hold for further reviewing our

>>> games.

>>> Andreas