[casual_games] Hard sales numbers?

Joe Schultz joe.schultz at bydesigngames.com
Mon Jul 23 13:02:32 EDT 2007

Hi Richard, yeah I failed to mention we already have access to that
site. It is a brilliant & shiny jewel in a field of dirt, but what
seems to be absent are actual sales figures. One can loosely infer
sales figures from the # of top ten days for a given title, but it is
ultimately a poor substitute. Unless, I'm just missing the
information there; it is currently a little quirky to navigate.

Also a good read was Russell Carroll's "Beyond Conversion Rate"
article on Gamasutra last year; http://www.gamasutra.com/features/
20060711/carroll_01.shtml

Tho again, absent hard sales figures. What happened to the initiative
that the IGDA referenced on the list, early this year? Searching the
list archives, I recall a few references to the IGDA working to
collate casual sales figures. Has any of that come to usable fruition
(beyond the game-sales-charts site)?

It's a challenge. I know many requests on this list (from Greg
Maletic, Matthew Ford, others) have gone unanswered (oft for years)
or otherwise produced little fruit. Resounding Ford's post last
month, no one should feel obligated to reveal secrets, but adding I
can't help thinking how our community would benefit from a more
collective approach rather than holding things so tightly (it can be
argued that such behavior is what is killing mobile gaming).
Especially with so much "design borrowing"; perhaps a more open,
personal community would help offset to this cannibalistic aspect.

Thanks Richard for helping to answer this community issue,

Joe Schultz
Game Director
ByDesign Games
joe.schultz at bydesigngames.com