[casual_games] Res: Use of keyboard on casual games

Martin Grider mgrider at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 01:53:26 EDT 2007

This topic is getting old, but I thought I'd throw my opinions in anyway.

Take all this with a grain of salt, because I'm a flash developer,
(and I'm on a mac), but I have a few points:

1) I personally would never assume anyone has a right mouse button.
For one thing, they're not standard on macs, and for another, my mom
doesn't even know her PC mouse has a second button! The same can be
said for scroll wheels.

2) This is more an observation than actually relevant to this
discussion, but every day more and more people are ditching their
desktops in favor of laptops. Many of those laptop users attach a
mouse, but I'd be willing to bet that a significant number of them do
not. Those people who don't use a mouse are not likely to play quake,
but they are still just as likely to play a casual game. I guess my
point is that users already have an input device preference, and are
not likely to play your game if it doesn't conform to that preference.

> I think a very good comparison can be made to the first FPS games. I

> played games like Wolfenstein and Doom fully with the keyboard, arrows

> keys, ctrl, alt, and shift. I saw people playing with the mouse, but it

> looked too hard, I was happy with the keyboard. I also saw that they

> consistently kicked my...well, they won a lot :). By the time Quake came

> around I got the message.

I had this same experience with playing Marathon! Although I got the
picture pretty darn quick. It only took watching over the shoulder of
someone who used the mouse for about ten minutes at a lan party before
I realized I needed to go home and practice that "new way".

Finally, thanks to whoever it was that made the point about not
requiring a mouse click for one simple game function when all the
other gameplay uses the keyboard. My own game suffers from this
problem! (I'm going to fix it this weekend.)

-martin
--
http://chesstris.com/