[casual_games] Game design document

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Tue Mar 20 10:00:14 EDT 2007

I started to write GDDs based on Chris Taylor's and Ernest Adams' templates,
but after a while I came up with my own style, which fits better our
development style. I start with the treatment, which becomes the How To Play
section, and then I start adding sections as follows:

- Introduction: the introduction from the treatment.
- How To Play: the rest of the treatment. All elements of the core gameplay
go here, so this section is heavily modified with a lot of specs added
throughout the process.
- User Interface: all GUI specs go here.
- Sounds: Initially I was listing all sounds here, but now this is only a
description of the overall goal for sounds and music, and we use a separate
spreadsheet for every sound and its description.
- "Additional Assets": Depending on the game, the title of this section may
differ, or won't exist.
- Developer Notes: a section where the developers write anything they want.
It's their own scratchpad for the project.
- Feedback from Publisher: I was using this section to paste the feedback
from the publisher of every build, and have a list of pending issues. But
I'm phasing it out, as I moved it to a spreadsheet in the timeline.

I don't do level design on the GDD. I use spreadsheets for it.

I hope this helps. I just realized that the GDD question is popping up
fairly often, so I added in my wish list of topics for the Casual Games
White Paper to expand a Documentation section with a GDD and timelines
example (for timelines, I guess we can use what I presented in Amsterdam
last month).

Cheers,

Juan