[casual_games] Res: Game design document

Nic Cusworth info at medullacorp.com
Wed Mar 21 08:17:15 EDT 2007

I would love to post a GDD here because I checked out the design docs links
sent the other day and to be honest, if I handed those over I would be fired
on the spot.

However, unfortunately every design I have written is owned by the company/s
I work for and I would be breaking NDA if I was to send one out and I would
be fired on the spot.

That begin said – here’s some advice:

Have multiple docs. A 4 page pitch – a 12 page concept- then your GDD.

Make your pitch doc look amazing. Use art or concept at from your game. Sell
the unique features but also cover the basics like platforms etc. Needs to
be punchy and appeal to sales. Our pitch docs look like high quality
magazine articles and feature less text and more images.

The concept doc needs to go into things in a little more depth. It’s
basically an expansion of the Pitch doc – adding meat to the bone if you
like. You have that cool mechanic – explain it here but try and keep it
concise still.

Finally the GDD adds the final layer of detail. Here you can go into depth
about the various aspects of your game.

I would never start with a GDD – you need to get your idea straight first
and using the stepped approach will help you. If you can’t write four great
pages about how amazing your game is – then there’s no point continuing.

As for the GDD – keep everything very organized and readable. Use a good
font – not Times. Make your headings clear and make your content concise.
Spell everything out clearly – for example, don’t assume that just cos you
pick up a key in the game that people know it is going to open doors.

Other things. Keep sentences short. Don’t try and be funny, but do write
with style. People don’t want to read design docs so at least sweeten the
pill for the reader. If you’re not artistic (like me) find packages that can
make you look like a better artist that you really are. I use tools like
SketchUp, Daz Studio, Microsoft Expression Graphic Designer, Vue etc. etc.
to get quick results and give the reader a pretty clear idea of what you
intend. Sometimes this works out better than expected and I’ve had my UI
sketches be pretty much implemented in the final game.

Prototypes are also an important sales/development tool. It’s a quick way to
see if your idea is going to work. Sketch out mechanics in something like
Flash to see if they actually work. I’ve been messing around on my train
journey to work and back with Torque Game Builder and have pretty much
finished my first casual game. It derivative but only took 3 months at about
80 minutes a day.

I wish I could offer more but I simply can’t go into too much depth out my
process. I will say that I have been a professional games designer for
nearly 14 years and every document I write is better than the last!!

Nic.

_____