[casual_games] casual multiplayer set up

Gert-Jan Brok cglist at fantazm.com
Tue Mar 27 06:38:38 EDT 2007

Hi Juan,
thanks for your tips.
Altough I don't quite agree with your last statement, that in a current
scenario it wouldn't be an optimal experience. Years ago, in the modem
age, I was playing Quake 2 and 3 online, and it worked perfectly on a
Pentium 2 I believe. Sure, sometimes there where some hick-ups, but most
of the time it ran smoothly. I am convinced that, even within a browser,
we can recreate that experience nowadays when a very large community has
a broadband connection and not too shabby systems. I think we've gotten
too used to just using the standard tools and sollutions, and aren't
looking much further. My opinion is that with optimization and some
outside-the-box thinking we, as developers in general, can create
experiences that will really create a WOW effect (not to be confused
with the Vista wow effect, which isn't really a wow, but more of an ow.)

Well, enough ranting. Just wanted to express my opinion on that one.
Nevertheless we are redesigning and tweaking our current project as we
speak to get the desired "real-time" gameplay as a result.

Gert-Jan
Fantazm