[casual_games] Flash CS3, anyone?

John Say john.say at saydesign.com
Thu May 17 20:21:43 EDT 2007

We're using it to build both multiplayer Web games as well as a
fairly ambitious Casual game project, and have been pretty pleased
with it.
It's an entirely new Virtual Machine (I believe the first upgrade to
the core since the original - confirmations?).

Some of the greatest improvements have to do with the backend
communication performance, code structure, and performance on the
Math/Function side (By the way, check out these performance tests:
http://www.oddhammer.com/actionscriptperformance/set4/).

Performance improvements an be great for faster physics, 3d math
calculations for those faked 3d effects, and overall game performance
and responsiveness (always a good thing)
I think we will really start seeing more games pulled off in Flash 9
than Flash 8.. we were pretty pleased with the performance of game
play of PokerPop / SolitairePop (www.playfirst.com), and so with 9,
we probably can attempt more demanding game mechanics with physics /
procedural & algorithmic effects and so forth.

John Say,
saydesign.com