[casual_games] Skype game channel?

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Fri May 18 09:22:51 EDT 2007

For the purposes of the this group, the biggest difference between Skype and
other IMs is that a decently large portion of their user base is accustomed
to paying into Skype for services, and not only that but they carry a
positive balance (think XBox Live 'points').

On the other hand this is exactly the business model that TrayGames has been
pushing for a couple years now, except we put the games front and center.
And while we do have a (small) dedicated user base it hasn't exactly set the
world on fire.

I've found the games offered on Skype so far to look nice but perform
poorly. (In my admittedly biased opinion.)

That said, we've got some games in our portfolio that suspect would do
extremely well with the Skype user base, so you can bet we'll be looking at
it.

One small correction; the original poster said 18 million people have
installed extras, actually the article states 18 million downloads. And
given most who even bothered to look surely tried more than one, and that
many did not continue to use after looking, the number must actually be
rather small. Especially if 'standard' download/install/use ratios apply in
this case.