[casual_games] Casual Game Framework

James Terry JTerry at yatecgames.com
Tue May 29 09:35:11 EDT 2007

1-Is there any impact on the selected technology on a Publisher's point
of view? Do they prefer any technology over other?

A lot of publishers favor their in-house technology if available,
Playground SDK, PopCap Framework, Torque Game Builder, etc.

2-What do you think about XNA for a casual games?

Like others have said, XNA hasn't matured yet, and it does not support
Mac at all (which is a large outlet for a casual game)

3-Any experience on using a publishers framework (PopCap Games
Framework) and then publishing with others?

Both the PopCap and Playfirst SDK can be used on projects that end up
getting published through someone else, or even self-published

4-Any other suggestions?

Check out Playfirst SDK, PopCap Framework, Torque Game Builder, Unity
(if you have a Mac) and see which one is most useful for what you want
to make. From what I've seen, its faster to build a Prototype using
Unity or TGB since they have a heavy scripting component while PopCap
and Playfirst will stick you with a lot of C++, but TGB and Unity both
cost a bit, while PopCap and Playfirst are free

James R. Terry
Yatec, LLC
11606 Southfork, Suite 300
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70816