[casual_games] Use of keyboard on casual games

Michael Kuzmin kuzmitch at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:43:46 EDT 2007

2007/5/31, Pedro Honório Silva <pedro.silva at ignite-games.com>:

> Excuse me!? Now the casual games SHOULD BE SIMPLE? Why? Which focus testing

> dictated that? I find that quite disturbing! I know a lot of typical casual

> gamers (we have our own beta testing program) and some of them like very

> simple games while others are interested in more complex ones! Don't you

> feel like you're underestimating the intellect of our audience? If someone

> told me "buy this because it's simple and you'll understand/use it better!"

> I'd be pissed off!

I do not trying to speak about SIMPLE games. I'm trying to say that
CONTROLS in games should be easy and intuitive (probably my mistake
because English is not my native language and I think in Russian).
When you add keyboard to the game you fall in solution of user
interaction interface. You loose the magic, Luke! :)

> However, you are right when you say that right mouse does not come natural

> to many typical casual gamers. Because they are used to something else. Your

> MSWord example is quite valid. That's why I said that I'm not against

> mouse-only driven games.

Actually, you can't be against it: look at the casual market. There
are only several core game mechanics which most of developers
analyzing and trying to reproduce in their games to create new Casual
Hit. 30% of Zuma + 20% of Tetris + 50% of Arcanoid - will it be
successful, what do you think?

> As I said, we at Ignite do like very much to push the envelope. We try to

> develop cutting edge, visually appealing games that are easy, and ABOVE ALL,

> fun to play! But they are most certainly not SIMPLE games. Or perhaps I've

> misunderstood your definition of simple.

Yes, that's right (described above). Glad to hear that you have a good
ambitions being a game developer. Respect!

--
Michael Kuzmin
International Business Development Director