[casual_games] Call for writers and section editors for 2008 White Paper

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:44:54 EST 2007

Hello once again.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed suggestions and ideas to the outline
for the 2008 IGDA White Paper. I've done my best to incorporate everyone's
suggestions, and the final outline is here:
http://www.igda.org/wiki/Casual_Games_SIG/2008_Whitepaper/ToC

More than 30 volunteers have stepped forward to help write, project manage,
and edit the 2008 White Paper, but I estimate that we're going to need at
least 50-60 to get it done without excessive pain for any contributors
(except me, of course ;). If you've been thinking about volunteering to
help out on the White Paper but have been hesitating because you're not
quite sure what it will entail, job descriptions are pasted in below and
posted here: http://www.igda.org/wiki/White_Paper_Job_Descriptions. If
you'd like to help out but don't feel competent to own a section, I can help
get you in touch with industry experts that will help you fill in the blanks
in your knowledge OR you can contribute as a copy editor.

As a quick reminder, the White Paper is a critical information resource for
the casual games community. It serves as a key source of data for
developers, investors, publishers, and others, and it only exists because of
the efforts of volunteers. If you haven't signed up, please consider doing
it today to keep this community resource great.

Many thanks,
Dave Rohrl
Indpendent Casual Game Producer/Designer/Consultant
universedave at gmail.com

White Paper Job Descriptions

This page lists the resonsibilities for writers and editors on the 2008
Casual Games SIG White Paper. A job description for an Assistant Editor (of
the overall paper) will be added shortly.

This year, we wll be using the Wikipedia manual of style
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style>for copy editing.
Please take a moment to become familiar with the basics of this writing
guide.
Responsibilities of Writers

- Create 3-10 pages of timely, accurate content on assigned
subsection.
- Deliver drafts and revisions per project schedule.
- Provide Section Editor with status at least biweekly (more
frequently at editor's discretion).
- Respond to Section Editor's change request for both style and
substance.

- If any disputes arise from editorial change requests, they will be
resolved by the White Paper Editor.

Responsibilities of Section Editors

- Serve as overall project manager for assigned section
- In cooperation with White Paper Editor, recruit a volunteer staff of
Writers to create subsections.
- Write subsection(s) as needed (or desired).
- Compile a semi-monthly status report for White Paper Editor.
- Manage staff to the overall project schedule
- Provide staff with two rounds of feedback for both style and
substance.
- Complete two edit passes (under the direction of the White Paper
Editor) on their completed sections in accord with the project schedule.