[casual_games] Res: Apple to open iPhone to developers

Ian Smith-Dahl isd at strangetower.com
Thu Oct 18 12:42:11 EDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Chris Dillman wrote:

>> This could be very difficult, due to NDAs, but is there any

>> (legal) source of information about the iPhone from a programmer

>> point of view?

> Official... not that I have seen.

> I don't think NDA cover what users have found out...

> http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

> There are also crash logs that show a lot of the frameworks

> on the OS so you can get an idea of what is supported like

> OpenGLES etc.

You just gotta be careful sinking resources into this kind of
reconnaissance, in light of Apple's recent closure of "security
holes" which bricked phones and nerfed legitimate 3rd party
programmers. The advantage to something officially released by
Apple is that you have some indication of support from the company;
or at least not active opposition. I'm heartened by the news that
Apple is looking to open this up a bit, but we're still not sure what
parts they are going to open up. (I'm hoping Java, so it can run
traditional cell phone games)