[casual_games] Casual_Games Digest, Vol 29, Issue 2

Eric Trudel eric.trudel at wendigostudios.com
Sun Oct 21 18:20:52 EDT 2007

"A number of computer science departments
across the country have experienced declining enrollment and this is
something that sparks considerable interest in potential students, which
could help reverse the trend."

We had same decline here at the local University (www.uqac.ca), but two
years ago they opened a new Computer science degree with a major in video
game programming. The major focuses on math and 3D programming, with courses
on game design, game production and AI programming. They also work on game
projects to build a portfolio. Students can combine their major with a minor
in management, mathematics, computer science or digital art.

The new program was a success with a twofold increase in new students. The
drop rate is quite high though (30%) since the courses are hard. Some
students obviously think that games are easy to program... Also, it had a
negative effect on the other computer science degrees since most new
students obviously decided to enroll in the new video game program.

My two cents...

Eric Trudel
Président-Directeur général / CEO
Wendigo Studios Inc.
496 St-Marthe, Saguenay, Qc, G7J 3C8
Cell : 418-550-3445
Sans Frais / Toll free : 1-888-WENDIGO (936-3446) #701
Fax : 432-577-6694
www.wendigostudios.com

*****************************
Information confidentielle: Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y
est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses
destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
distribution ou toute autre utilisation de ce message et tout document joint
est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez
en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce
message et tout document joint de votre système. Merci!

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying,
circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Thank-you!