[casual_games] The Escapist: Analysts Fear For Nintendo

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Mon Dec 15 11:52:02 EST 2008

It seems to me their main point is that "casual" players are not as addicted
(for lack of a better term) to games as the core players are.

"We are not sure how the recession will affect the buying habits of these
new, more casual mainstream consumers. These consumers are more likely to
view gaming as a discretionary luxury"

Wrong! I think this goes to the core of the myth of casual games. There is
nothing casual about most of the players of Diner Dash, Bejeweled and
Mystery Case Files. This is no longer just a way to kill time between
activates. It is no longer people who don't self identify as gamers. It
may have started that way years ago but now we have a mature audience who
knows and loves our products and they have an appetite for them.

Maybe Nintendo is picking up some new customers who are casual about games.
But the people who pay for download games on casual portals are serious
players. They look forward to new releases, they do identify themselves as
game players, they subscribe to clubs to get discounts on games, they budget
how many games per month they will buy, and they budget there time around
when they can finish more levels in their current game and they can't wait
to download the next one. This is not a "discretionary luxury" they will
easily give up especially when it only coasts them ~$7 for ten hours of
immersion, relaxation and fun.

Nintendo (or those analysts) are playing in a different casual world than we
are.

James C. Smith