[casual_games] Startup LaunchPad @ GDC --> Casual Presentations on Friday

Gabriel Zichermann gabe at gabrielz.com
Wed Feb 13 14:16:02 EST 2008

First off, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at GDC! Rah, Rah, Casual Game Summit, Rah Rah! :)

Secondly, I wanted to make some of you aware (it's a last minute addition) that on Friday, the GDC and Charles River Ventures are doing the first-ever "Startup Launchpad" at GDC - showcasing a handful of new companies that appear promising as well as some sessions geared around startups and early stage ventures:

http://www.gdconf.com/startuplaunchpad/

At noon on Friday (Room 132 North Hall), three companies that the CG community might find interesting will present at the event, and it's the template for a Prize-based award at the Austin GDC, so it may be worthwhile for any of you pursuing breakthrough or "edgy" business plans to attend to see what it's like. (Susan Wu from CRV also has stated her personal desire to disrupt the usual publisher-developer relationship, which sounds like fun to me). :)

My company is one of those presenting (our photosharing-meets games/funware thing), as is Lee Crawford's in-game economy startup, TwoFish and Charles Forman's I'm in Like With You. You might find one of our pitches (or the process itself) interesting.

I'd love to see you all there, and if you're planning to submit for Austin's event, I'll happily share my personal feedback (and keynote file) after the preso.

Happy GDCing!

Gabe