[casual_games] Encrypting text files

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Tue Jan 15 11:45:01 EST 2008

I would also recommend using ZLib. All the games I have worked on including
Ricochet and Big Kahuna use ZLib to compress the save game files and many of
the source assets such as level definitions. The space savings is a nice
side effect, but the real reason we use ZLib is to just obscure the file
contents so they cannot be casually edited. The ZLib API is very simple to
use. We integrated into our file system abstraction layer so that any file
can be transparently (to the game code) compressed on load and/or save.

James C. Smith

Producer / Lead Programmer

Reflexive Entertainment