[casual_games] Casual Download Games: New Releases by Play Mechanic

Joe Schultz Joe.Schultz at ByDesignGames.com
Mon Jul 21 11:13:54 EDT 2008

What's great to see here is not that Hidden Object is doing more than
Time Management et. al., but that the strongest game types are ones
that do not fit into the what most portals define as "casual"; this is
really refreshing to see.

We knew it was only a matter of time before casual players were tired
of all the same stuff, over and over. I mean who but the creatively
bankrupt would want to play (or develop) yet another match 3 / time
management / hidden object game? Sure there are yet many players (and
games) of those types, and some people will do anything for money it
seems, but judging from this data (and logic) it looks that they are
slowly dwindling in number, thankfully.

Maybe with such info, the more forward-thinking of the bigger portals
will now better consider "other" definitions of "fun" & "casual"...

Joe Schultz
Game Director
ByDesign Games
http://www.bydesigngames.com