[casual_games] Club Penguin's Conversion Rate

Erin Hoffman erin.n.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:55:54 EST 2009

Hi all,

I don't think Club Penguin is traditionally identified as a "casual
game", but I know there are a few marketers on the list who might have
access or thoughts on these statistics.

The customary conversion rate for casual games is 1% -- 1 in 100 free
downloads will convert to a purchase. This tends to also apply where
casual games intersect the F2P MMO market. Club Penguin, however,
converts at a rate of 5.8% -- they maintain around 700,000 paying
users out of 12 million account holders, and these subscribers also
"over-spend" on Club Penguin goods, averaging between $50-70 per year
on Club Penguin purchases.

Is there any research or existing thought on why Club Penguin converts
at such a large rate? I realize it's so far considered an aberration
(a 'hit'), but what all could be contributing to its unnaturally large
conversion rate? Is it strictly a matter of demographics?

Thanks very much,
Erin