[casual_games] Revenue from different portals

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Wed Feb 25 16:15:19 EST 2009

When you phrase it that way it does sound more like a question you could
answer on CasualCharts.com. See my quarterly "Top 10 data Review" columns in
the IGDA Casual SIG Quarterly newsletter. For example, page 9 & 10 of this
last issue:
http://www.igda.org/casual/quarterly/3_2/igda_casual_game_quarterly_3_2.pdf

This will not tell you which portal sold more units or generated more
revenue. But it will tell you what types of games did best on each portal.
For example according to my analysis of the data published in Big Fish
Games' Top 100 list, More than 50% of the purchases on Big Fish are hidden
object (HO) games. But Yahoo and Shockwave sell more time management (TM)
games and HOs only make up about 10% of their sales.

So if someone gives you data about their top selling TM game, and they said
Big Fish didn't sell very many, you shouldn't be surprised and that won't
tell you much about how your HO will sell on big fish.