[casual_games] Need volunteers for SIG Steering Committee

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:58:16 EDT 2009

Hey everyone,
It's been awesome seeing all the activity on the mailing list these last few
days. I love seeing the diverse experiences and interests that everyone is
bringing to the table. I'm hoping I can harness a little bit of that energy
for a couple of important causes.

First and most important, the SIG is governed by a Steering Committee. The
Steering Committee is responsible for taking input from the community and
helping to organize around key initiatives. In recent years, the Steering
Committee has helped to drive the IGDA Casual Games Quarterly (which has had
some excellent post mortems, virtual round tables, and topical articles over
the years) and the IGDA Casual Games White Paper (which provides a
community-driven snapshot of the state of the industry), Every year, a
fresh steering committee is elected at the Casual Connect conference in
Seattle.

In order to keep the SIG's initiatives moving and create new organized
initiatives, we NEED new steering committee members. Being a member of the
committee is a relatively light commitment. We ask that you participate in
a 1-hour monthly conference call and you volunteer 2-4 hours per month on a
SIG initiative. It's a great way to network in the casual game industry and
to give something back to the casual game community that has created such
great content and such a cool and interesting business.

If you would like to volunteer to be part of the SIG's Steering Committee,
please email me on or off list (universedave at gmail.com) with

- a quick bio
- a brief statement about why you would like to join the committee, and
- any ideas around existing or new initiatives you are particularly
passionate about

In the next year, we are hoping to see the SIG

- start crowdsourcing some of the quarterly content, allowing members to
post their articles on the IGDA wiki and publicize them on the list
- add monthly group voice chats where members of the SIG can gather and
discuss the casual game issues of the day in real time
- continue doing 1-2 print compilations of the best articles submitted to
the wiki, to be distributed at GDC and Casual Connect

If you would like to help make sure these things happen, please step up and
join the Steering Committee. The SIG absolutely needs your help to stay
vital and relevant in the fast-evolving casual space. Again, any IGDA
member is welcome to join, just email me or the list and let me know.

Thanks for reading,
Dave Rohrl
Chair, IGDA Casual Games SIG Steering Committee 2008-2009
Editor, IGDA Casual Games White Paper, 2008 Edition