[casual_games] Creating custom screensavers

Jonah Cohen jonah at fugazo.com
Thu Mar 5 15:23:07 EST 2009

Does anyone know of any good resources that explain how to create
custom screensavers for games? For example, the way Fishdom lets you
choose any one of your fish tanks to be your screensaver. I'm not
having any trouble getting my game to launch in "screensaver mode",
where it just goes to an idle screen until the mouse moves, but I'm
not sure how to actually install the screensaver in Windows (without
copying it to c:\windows\system32, which in Vista requires
administrator privilege), and I also haven't found much useful info on
handling the preview window and settings box and accommodating
passwords and so forth. For what it's worth, I'm using a DirectX 9
derivative of the PopCap framework if that's at all relevant.

Jonah Cohen