[casual_games] New book on casual games: A Casual Revolution

Jesper Juul jesper at soupgames.net
Mon Oct 26 12:16:15 EDT 2009

Dear Casual Games Mailing List

Here is the announcement of my just-released book, *A Casual Revolution*.

It's, well, a full book about casual games (understood here in a broad sense
to include the Wii and recent music games).

I want to thank the casual games list for providing inspiration in general,
and thank the people on the list that I have interviewed.

The book includes interviews with players, results of a survey from the
Gamezebo website and interviews with casual game developers. I hope it can
be of use to everybody!

*

I am writing to let you know that my new book, A Casual Revolution:
Reinventing Video Games and Their
Players<http://www.jesperjuul.net/casualrevolution/>has just been
published by MIT Press.

[image: casualrevolution_153.jpg]

*A Casual Revolution* is my take on what is happening with video games right
now:

- Why is the Nintendo Wii more successful than the Xbox 360 and the
PlayStation 3?
- Why is the audience for video games expanding?
- Who plays *Bejeweled*, and why?
- What is a casual player? What is casual game design?
- Are casual games a return to the arcade game, or are they something
new?
- How did Solitaire become one of the most popular video games?
- What is the secret behind the success of *Guitar Hero* and *Rock Band*?
- Why is Parcheesi/Ludo a social game? Why is *Animal Crossing*?
- Does the rise of casual games mean the downfall of hardcore games?
- … and more.

*A Casual Revolution* is a 256-page book about what is important: The joy of
the casual video games that we play during a work break, on phones, with the
family, or with friends at a late-night party.

The book includes 100 illustrations as well as interviews with game players
and developers.

Get *A Casual Revolution* from your neighborhood bookstore or from your
favorite online retailer.

The book's companion website is: http://www.jesperjuul.net/casualrevolution/

The official MIT Press page:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11844

Thanks to everybody who made this book possible!

Jesper Juul
http://www.jesperjuul.net

New York University Game Center
http://gamecenter.nyu.edu