[casual_games] INPUT REQUESTED: 2010 IGDA Casual Game SIG Programs

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Thu Jan 21 14:04:54 EST 2010

I see your points, but I disagree on both counts. First of all social games
cannot depend on virality anymore: marketing is becoming absolutely
mandatory and there is no successful social game today (10M+) that hasn't
spent more than 6 figures in marketing ads.

The complexity of social games is growing. Browser based MMOs should
actually use social networks in order to expand their audience. There is
absolutely no rule in Facebook that says social games should just be about
farms or cafes. Castle Age and Band of Heroes are examples of people who are
trying to serve the same audience who is playing browser MMOs today, and
they already have more users than most of the browsers MMOs out there. If I
would be doing a browser MMO, I would definitely include in my list of
features how I'm going to integrate my game into social networks.

And to your second point, if you pitch any advergame or single player flash
game in 2010 to any publisher or advertiser and you don't include at least a
basic facebook connect like connectivity, you'll probably lose the bid. Why
not do it? It takes 2-3 days of work for a dev to integrate a single player
social game on Facebook (to promote player's achievements for example). It's
a good promotion mechanism that doesn't cost any money.

Why would flash games require a different kind of developer? People who have
done flash based games with multiplayer or community based connectivity can
tackle any type of social game. They have a very similar set of technical
requirements.

Juan