[casual_games] Gamestop steps into digital territory after acquiring flash-based gaming site, Kongregate.com

oscar is oscar oscar.oscar.oscar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:27:22 EDT 2010

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/723/article/gamestop-buys-kongregate-com/

Jim Greer, CEO of Kongregate, has
announced<http://www.kongregate.com/pages/kongregate-announcement>that
Gamestop has acquired Kongregate as a wholly-owned subsidiary. In
non-technical terms, this means that Kongregate now belongs to GameStop.

Roughly 4 years ago, Jim Greer founded Kongregate, a community centered on
user-submitted flash-based independent games. With its profiles, friends
lists, chat functionality, and ability for users to make money off their own
content, one might label it as the de facto "social network" for indie
games.

If you are wondering how the site will change after the deal, Jim writes,

* I have on good authority that we're finally going to lose the "beta" tag.
Past that, really not too much. GameStop resources will allow us to improve
the site much more quickly, but we're going to stay the same site that you
have grown to know and lo- well, tolerate. *

According to GameStop<http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29607/GameStop_Buys_Social_Gaming_Hub_Kongregate.php>,
this will help Gamestop grow beyond the retail sector into the digital
market, GameStop president Tony Bartel said,

* Combining Kongregate’s expansive catalogue of games with our well known
consumer brand, powerful marketing and strong customer relationships, means
that even more gamers will be able to enjoy their games anytime, anywhere
and on any device. *

The company did not disclose terms of the acquisition.