[casual_games] Is Everyone going to ABANDON FLASH for UNITY3D?

Nate Pacyga nate at trycatchgames.com
Wed Oct 27 16:53:30 EDT 2010

Just to bump the thread because I think it's worth it. I think that Unity
will have some serious competition coming from Flash next year, check it
out:
http://www.bytearray.org/?p=2310

--Nate
<http://www.bytearray.org/?p=2310>

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM, oscar is oscar <oscar.oscar.oscar at gmail.com

> wrote:

> ^_^

> Thanks Tom. Its nice to see someone speak honestly about their product...

> even with an honest bias. ;)

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Tom Higgins <tom at unity3d.com> wrote:

>> Sorry to be late to the game here but I was out ill last week. I'd just

>> like to offer some quick thoughts:

>> 1. It's not about "abandoning" one tool for another, neither Flash nor

>> Unity solve all problems so keep them both in your arsenal and apply the

>> right tool for the job in question.

>> 2. Unity can be used for 2D work as well as 3D, we'll be fleshing out new

>> features to facilitate that in the 3.x family (3.0 soon to be released!).

>> 3. Yes, our install base penetration is in the 'few percent' range

>> (roughly 30M installs out there now, 2-2.5M more per month being added), but

>> we see higher success rates than that on actual content pages. We've seen

>> numbers as high as 60-80%, that being the percent of people hitting a

>> content page that actually reach/play the content. So some have the player,

>> many others do not and are willing to do the install, but again they tend to

>> be content-motivated.

>> 4. In the 3.0 release we're vastly improving the install experience for

>> Windows users (Mac work still under way but Win is still the dominant share)

>> to bring it to a true one-click install, lowering the barrier even more.

>> 5. Agreed, lots to be done for anyone that feels they want to "replace

>> Flash", but that's not our mission statement nor our explicit goal.

>> Ok, just wanted to get that off my chest as a biased member of this list.

>> :)

>> Tom Higgins

>> Product Evangelist, Unity Technologies

>> http://unity3d.com | Answers <http://answers.unity3d.com> • Blogs<http://blogs.unity3d.com>

>> • Feedback <http://feedback.unity3d.com> • Forums<http://forum.unity3d.com>

>> Desk: +1 415.820.4273 | Mobile: +1 415.525.2466 | Fax: +1

>> 888.679.7754

>> Archive: http://www.igda.org/casual-subscribe

>> Archive Search:

>> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8