[casual_games] TOW: Learning From Games

Dean Utian d.utian at unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 9 21:59:28 EDT 2012

Thanks Sheri for this topic. Is a great one. I may be a little biased as I have just finished teaching the course where the main theme was 'learning from games'. I could speak at length on this topic but will just give a burb on my course and the learning from games.

The course is an elective run under the Architecture Program, at The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. We looked at how games can be used for purposes beyond entertainment, particularly in an architectural context. We looked at
- 3D game engines, spatial experiences and immersion
- Narratives in games
- Game theory and gamification
- Learning theory and particularly situated learning
- The role / characterisation of architecture in games

How students learned from games
- From making their own games
- Evaluating existing games
- Playing games

What was learned from games
- New creative wasys of thinking and designing
- Digital communication with 3D environments
- Problem solving skills
- How games can help provide greater understanding to architecture

Am happy to share more if anyone is interested/

Regards
Dean