[game_edu] watered down CS programs

Buchanan, John juancho at ea.com
Mon Mar 28 16:52:44 EST 2005

My article is specifically aimed at CS.  There are other areas of
training where vocational training are more appropriate but I will leave
the discussion of these other areas (art, production, game design) to
people better qualified than me.

My article is intended to dissuade the introduction of watered down CS
programs.  It is unfair to teach students how to program current
generation machines without focusing on the underpinnings of the
discipline that they are entering.  We have found that the narrow 'video
game programming for welders'  i.e.  we teach you enough to be
dangerous, programs leave students inadequately prepared for long term
growth in their chosen discipline.

As educators there is a far deeper issue that we must look at when we
decide to label something a 'game programming' degree.  If we could
guarantee that everyone who entered such a program would be guaranteed
a job in the industry then we are all good.  However we all know that
the game industry is very selective in whom it chooses to hire.  Thus we
are assured that a significant percentage of people with game
programming degrees will not be employed in the industry.

Now if I were hiring a programmer in a segment of the IT industry that
was not game related what would I think of a game programming degree.  I
am very confident that people outside of the game industry will look
with disdain at these specialty degrees.  However if the degree is a
hard core CS or SE degree with a game course, or a game minor, then the
disdain will not be present.  So universities that are thinking of
labeling some of their graduates game programmers are doing a
dis-service to their students by giving them a degree that limits them
to a small, albeit lucrative, segment of the IT industry.

The major reason that many academics are jumping on the 'lets train game
people' is that the industry is lucrative.  By that very same metric we
should be instituding specialized Microsoft word programs since that
product is also very lucrative.

juancho