[game_edu] watered down CS programs

Craig Lindley Craig.Lindley at hgo.se
Tue Mar 29 06:10:30 EST 2005

And how about: recognising that games represent a new
medium and form of literacy, with profound but poorly understood
cognitive affects, presenting an extremely successful modes of
interaction and engagement and actually transforming the
ways that people think???

Prof. Craig Lindley
Trans-Reality Game Laboratory
Institution for Technology, Art and New Media
(Institutionen för teknik, konst och nya medier)
Gotland University
(Högskolan på Gotland)
Cramergatan 3
S-621 86 Sweden
http://trgl.tii.se/

Ph:  +46 498 299 765
Mob: +46 735 603 7786

Yusuf Pisan writes:
> Academics are jumping in on the "let's train game" because
>
>     - Demand from students. They have played games, they know games
> are cool and now they want to make games, and they want it now.
>
>     - Demand from "senior" university administrators. They worry about
> the bottom line. If most of your funding is from student numbers,
> you will be very sensitive to the demands.

I agree with the above, but want to add one ... let's not forget the
fun factor.  I don't mean in playing games, I mean in teaching about
them.  The reason I've moved to teaching game-related courses is not
because of any of the above reasons (although they provide some
impetus), but because it is fun to teach about games.  Most academics
are teachers by choice (in CS, certainly, it is not about the money
... there is more to be had elsewhere) because it is fun.  And
teaching is often made even more enjoyable by enthusiastic, motivated
students.

> - Junior academics trying to carve a name for themselves. Making a
> dent in theoretical computing, algorithms, operating systems and
> other traditional fields is very difficult, many years of research
> that must be digested. Games is relatively virgin territory.

I disagree with the above.  At least in network games, an area I
follow closely, there are few junior faculty making games-related
research their primary thrust.  In fact, most of the network games
researchers do their core research elsewhere (in the traditionally
difficult networking field) and do research in network games on the
side, mostly because they like the application domain.  I think this
is the "fun factor" carried over to research, as well.

Moreover, getting game-related research funding from traditional
agencies (such as NSF) is hard and getting such funds from game
industries is even harder.  This makes it even less attractive for
junior faculty to try and make a tenure case in game related research.

Mark