[game_edu] CFP: Beyond Virtual: Building Intercultural Competence with Social Games and Online Communities- HCI International Conference 2009

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:30:57 EST 2008

Call for Abstracts

Deadline for Abstract Receipt: Tuesday, 11 November 2008
Notification of Abstract Review Outcome: Tuesday, 30 November 2008
Deadline for Review of Papers: Monday, 12 January 2009
Deadline for Camera-ready Receipt: Monday, 16 February 2009

HCI International Conference 2009 Session invitation on the topic of:

Beyond Virtual: Building Intercultural Competence with Social Games and
Online Communities

We invite potential presenters to join the session entitled "Beyond Virtual:
Building Intercultural Competence with Social Games and Online Communities"
to be held during the 3rd International Conference on Online Communities and
Social Computing (OCSC 2009). OCSC 2009 is one of the affiliated conferences
jointly held with HCI International 2009, the 13th International Conference
on Human-Computer Interaction, San Diego, CA, USA, 19-24 July 2009.
(http://www.hcii2009.org/)

In this session we explore different approaches to solving the challenge of
building intercultural competence through the use of game technology, online
communities, and virtual world applications. Intercultural competence is the
ability to reflect on one's own cultural underpinnings, express openness to
diverse points of view, and exhibit a willingness to incorporate these
contributions into one's local and global perspectives. Developing these
real-world skills are critical to fostering multinational and multicultural
cooperation in the 21st century.

We seek to bring together researchers, academics, and designers from several
disciplines, including industry, education, serious game design,
intercultural communication, sociology, computer science, visual art, etc.
who are deeply interested in understanding more about how we can build
intercultural competence from playing and reflecting in technology -mediated
settings such as computer or video games, mobile games, massively
multi-player online role playing games (MMORPG), online communities, and
more. How can technology-mediated settings help us develop self-reflection,
and awareness of ourselves and others? How can we learn behavioral
flexibility with regard to intercultural discovery through games or
communities? What technologies (e.g. avatars, tutoring systems, etc.) enable
social learning? We are also interested in how we, as designers, create
games and online communities that provide learning opportunities for lasting
skills development that extend beyond virtual in
to real life.

If you are interested in participating, please send the title of the
presentation, a 100-300 word abstract and your contact details to Elaine
Raybourn, emraybo at sandia.gov, by 11 November 2008 (Tuesday).

Best regards,

Elaine

Elaine M. Raybourn, Ph.D.
Center for Systematics and Cognition Technologies
Sandia National Laboratories

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde