[game_edu] Anyone participating in the G4LI?

Andrew Phelps amp5315 at rit.edu
Thu Nov 6 10:12:18 EST 2008

Hi,

Without knowing who else is on the game_edu list I can’t say if any of the other G4LI collaborators are on it, but I am one such participant. The way it got started was through several smaller funded projects with Microsoft Research, and a growing relationship with the MSR group that has been looking at games in educational contexts (and games in computing education) for the past several years.

As to how the research is being conducted, there is an entire research methodology that was a part of the proposal. The G4LI team is working on (among other things) our public site that will begin to disseminate these materials, our research plan, and ways in which additional folks can collaborate and get involved. Our overriding goal is, of course, to grow the G4LI into something that extends well beyond the Microsoft commitment and into something that several groups and entities can be involved with.

We’re just starting out, and the press is perhaps a bit ahead of what we are ready to follow up and publicly release at present, but in very short order we’ll be putting out our materials that formed the core of the proposal for the institute, and our more detailed plan on moving forward. Sorry for the delay –

Feel free to contact me off-list as well.

Thanks,

-A

Andrew Phelps

Director, Game Design & Development

College of Computing & Information Sciences

Rochester Institute of Technology

amp at it.rit.edu games.rit.edu