[game_edu] Pinball machines useful in teaching game theory?

brad at gaminged.com brad at gaminged.com
Sat Nov 8 01:41:26 EST 2008

Some other thoughts on pinball machines:

Zeitgeist: They and the one armed bandits provided a great source of
information and reference for the arcade games of the 80’s.

Quick learners: What I enjoy discussing with students is how pinball
machines and most 80’s arcade games differ from many console games my
students like to play. Pinball and 80’s arcade games required a short
learning curve ie: if it cost more than a few quarters to obtain some
sense of success you lost your customer.

Never a winner: It is interesting to note that pinball games were
designed so that the user should never “win” or reach the end.

Multi-player: Some of the later Pinball machines provided multiplayer
gaming although it required taking turns. I am also trying to remember
if the concept of TOP Score first started on some of the later pinball
machines. Anyone recall?

Replayability: While there were pinball machines that had a cash payout
the non-paying pinball machines demonstrated that we could get players
to spend money to play this arcade device simply for the joy of playing,
improving ones skill, and/or possibly winning a free ball.

Good luck with your acquisition.

Brad