[game_edu] suggestions for readings?

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 11:34:44 EST 2008

Rules of Play also has a section where it talks about the relationship between "play" and "games," showing that (paradoxically) each is a subset of the other. The takeaway for me is that the two concepts are distinct, but strongly related.

I agree that having students come up with their own working definition for the word "game" is a worthwhile exercise. I usually do this as an interactive class discussion, but I can see it as an individual writing assignment as well. If you have each student make their own definition, as a bonus, you could also challenge students to come up with counterexamples to their own or their classmates' definitions: things that most people consider "games" that are not covered by a definition, or vice versa.

As for the division between "play" and "fun," I'm not familiar with any readings that make explicit distinctions between the two, but I'll go out on a limb and say that play is an activity, and fun is the result of (or emotional reaction to) an activity, so the two terms describe different things and can't be directly compared. But that's just my reaction.

- Ian