[game_edu] Faculty Position in Games

R. Michael Young young at csc.ncsu.edu
Sun Nov 30 18:02:01 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

NC State's Computer Science Department is looking to hire faculty in
the area of computer game development for positions starting in August
of 2008. I've pasted the job ad below, but you can find more details
at the department's web site here:

http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/employment/jobs/27

We have a very strong department and an emphasis both on research and
education in the area of games. Our department collaborates regularly
on games-related projects with faculty from art and design, education,
humanities and social sciences and has close relationships with the
North Carolina game industry, including leading engine providers like
Epic Games and Emergent Game Technologies as well as strong studios
like Electronic Arts, Destineer and Virtual Heroes.

The university's newly created Digital Games Research Center (http://dgr.ncsu.edu
) is home to 16 faculty from across the university that work on games
research and teaching. New faculty in CS will be encouraged to take a
leading role in the DGRC's efforts to advance the sciences of computer
games. We have a new undergraduate concentration in game development
and our recent BS graduates have successfully found positions at
leading game companies, including Destineer Studios, Epic Games,
Icarus Studios, id Software, Virtual Heroes, Inc. and many more. Our
graduate students working in games have found positions in both
industry and academia, including Emergent Game Technologies, Georgia
Tech, IT University Copenhagen, University of California at Santa
Cruz, USC's Institute for Creative Technologies and Virtual Heroes, Inc.

If you have more questions about this position, drop me an email or
give me a call. Please distribute to any interested parties.

-M

The Department of Computer Science at NC State University (NCSU) seeks
to fill multiple tenure track faculty positions starting August 16,
2009. Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to academic
and research excellence, and an outstanding research record
commensurate with the expectations of a major research university.
Required credentials include a doctorate in Computer Science or a
related field. While the department expects to hire faculty primarily
at the Assistant Professor level, candidates with exceptional research
records are encouraged to apply for senior positions.

Exceptional candidates in all areas of Computer Science will be
considered, but of particular interest are candidates specializing in
Computer Games and in Software Engineering. New Games faculty will
play an active role in the Digital Games Research Center. New
Software Engineering faculty will play an active role in the Center
for Open Software Engineering and in the Secure Open Systems Initiative.

The Department is one of the largest and oldest in the country. It is
placed in the NCSU’s College of Engineering, which has recently
received significant increases in private and public funding, faculty
positions, and facilities that will assist the Department in attaining
its goals. The department’s research expenditures and recognitions are
growing steadily. For example, we have one of the largest
concentrations of the prestigious NSF Early Career Award winners (18
total).

NCSU is located in Raleigh, capital of North Carolina, which forms one
vertex of the world-famous Research Triangle Park (RTP). RTP is an
innovative environment, both as a metropolitan area with one of the
most diverse industrial bases in the world, and as a center of
excellence promoting technology and science. The Research Triangle
area is routinely recognized in nationwide surveys as one of the best
places to live in the U.S. We enjoy outstanding public schools,
affordable housing, and great weather, all in the proximity of the
mountains and the seashore.

Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The positions
will remain open until suitable candidates are identified. Applicants
will receive consideration starting December 15, 2008. Applicants
should submit the following online at http://jobs.ncsu.edu (reference
position number 04-69-0808): cover letter, curriculum vitae, research
statement, teaching statement, and names and complete contact
information of four references, including email addresses and phone
numbers. Candidates can obtain information about the department and
its research programs, as well as more detail about the positions
advertised here at http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/. Inquiries may be sent
via email to: facultyhire at csc.ncsu.edu.

North Carolina State University is an equal opportunity and
affirmative action employer. In addition, NC State University
welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the
application process should contact the Department of Computer Science
at (919) 515-2858.

R. Michael Young
Director, Liquid Narrative Group
Department of Computer Science, NC State University
http://liquidnarrative.csc.ncsu.edu/rmy/