[games_access] "When Computer Games meet Universal Access" in UAHCI 2005

Dimitris Grammenos gramenos at ics.forth.gr
Mon Oct 18 11:45:55 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

My name is Dimitris Grammenos and I work as an interaction engineer at the
Centre for Universal Access and Assistive Technologies and the
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory of the Foundation for Research and
Technology - Hellas (FORTH), in Crete, Greece. Part of my research work has
to do with developing universally accessible games (I will e-mail soon more
details about it).

Since you are interested in a Game Accessibility Convention, you might be
also interested in the following announcement:

You are cordially invited to consider submitting a paper and participating
in the parallel session entitled "When Computer Games meet Universal
Access", organized in the context of the 3rd International Conference on
Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction (UAHCI 2005) that will be
held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 22-27 July 2005, in cooperation with the
11th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, the Symposium
on Human Interface (Japan) 2005, the 6th International Conference on
Engineering Psychology & Cognitive Ergonomics, the 1st International
Conference on Virtual Reality, the 1st International Conference on Usability
and Internationalization, the 1st International Conference on Online
Communities and Social Computing and the 1st International Conference on
Augmented Cognition.

http://www.hci-international.org/

This session will be one of the parallel sessions of UAHCI 2005 and will
address issues related to the development of universally accessible games,
i.e. computer games that allow people to have fun and compete on an equal
basis, while interacting easily, safely and effectively, irrespective of
individual abilities, skills and preferences. Due to a serious lack of
related published material (requirements, methods, tools, guidelines,
tutorials, case studies, etc.) the main goal of this session is to
contribute towards the formation of a corpus of tangible knowledge on the
creation of games that are highly usable and accessible by all.

Your paper will appear in the Conference Proceedings along with the other
regular submissions that will be accepted for oral presentations, following
a peer-review process.

In addition to the papers appearing in the conference proceedings,
participants will be invited to submit an extended version to a special
issue of the Springer journal "Universal Access in
<http://www.springeronline.com/east/journal/10209/>  the Information
Society".

If you want to submit a paper, please send to gramenos at ics.forth.gr an
extended abstract before 30 October 2004. Based on the comments that you
will receive on your submission by the 20th of December 2004, you will be
required to submit the camera-ready version of your full paper for inclusion
in the conference proceedings by the 10th of February 2005.

You, or one of the co-authors, will be required to register and give an oral
presentation during the Conference. Kindly note that individuals can appear
as co-authors in several papers in HCI International 2005 and the affiliated
Conferences, but can only present one paper.

Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Institute of Computer Science (ICS)
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
Centre for Universal Access and Assistive Technologies
Heraklion, Crete
GR - 70013 Greece

email:  <mailto:gramenos at ics.forth.gr> gramenos at ics.forth.gr
Tel: +30-2810-391755