[games_access] Re: [AGDev-discuss] "top ten" suggestions for SIG Access

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:24:59 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Let me give you a bit more information behind the "top ten"
list. Mainstream devs and game console companies are coming
back to us with "well, ok, if we tried to make 'grand mario
super katamari tetris kingdom' more accessible, where do we
even start? we could probably fit one or two items to
increase our accessibility before the game goes gold -- so
what are our options and how to we tackle it?"

So the idea behid the "top ten" is not to be all inclusive
or the "cure all" for all accessibility issues in games but
rather serve as a way for us to help developers start
building in accessibility features. Kind of a "baby steps"
approach but it is one that we could say to them, ok, if you
are serious about creating games that are more accessible,
even if it's just for one type of disability, pick one from
this list and DO IT!

Comprehensive lists like the fantastic website that Matthew
sent us, are great. However, it gives a developer who is not
in the business of creating, say, games for the blind, a bit
of a panic attack. Kind of like web developers of a small
company who honestly want to create a more accessible web
site but have no idea how exactly to interpret the W3
standards because they have become to in depth and confusing
to "jump right in" and make an improvement to their site.
Devs don't know where to start and how to start so we want
to provide something to help them start.

So we see the "top ten" as a way for us to help bridge the
gap a bit, serve as a way for us to start getting
accessibility features built into mainstream games. No, it's
not a "total" solution but if we could get even one
mainstream company to start adding in these features -- with
the understanding that their game isn't "accessible to all"
but now "accessible to more" -- we'd be able to start
setting the tone for game devs to follow.

Does that help clear things up a bit?
Michelle
Chair, IGDA Game Accessibility SIG