[games_access] workplace diversity question

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Mon Jul 4 10:49:26 EDT 2005

>> I like the "yes, but prefer not to specify" answer.
>
> On that note, is this answer option really necessary given the
> survey is anonymous? It may skew/lessen the results be giving
> disabled folks an "easy out" when no "out" is needed...

Many folks on the web are not comfortable with vague promises
that a survey is anonymous.  Cookies are tracked, visits are put
in web-logs, and businesses in general have little or no regard
for privacy.

I think the "yes, but prefer not to specify" actually makes
strong inroads into making the survey better.  If this option is
provided, then those that are not comfortable with giving out
such detailed information may have a comfortable out.  Their
alternative is to lie.  This would skew statistics even worse.
Having an option like this allows you to put *more* faith in the
accuracy of the other answers--that people only responded with a
detailed answer if it applied to them *and* they were comfortable
giving such information.  I'd say it's better to get accurate
information that may not have 100% coverage of the survey
participants, than to put folks in a position where they'd be
tempted to lie and screw up the survey data.

Just my early-morning 4th of July ramblings.

-tim