[games_access] Article: "Blind Teen Amazes with Video-Game Skills"

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 27 23:10:35 EDT 2005

Hi everyone --

This just came across the AP newswire:

http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/archive.html?wire=D8BJVNJ81.html

Blind Teen Amazes With Video-Game Skills

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By SCOTT BAUER Associated Press Writer

July 27,2005 | LINCOLN, Neb. -- Brice Mellen is a whiz at
video games such as "Mortal Kombat."

In that regard, the 17-year-old isn't much different from so
many others his age.

Except for one thing: He's blind.

And as he easily dispatched foes who took him on recently at
a Lincoln gaming center, the affable and smiling Mellen
remained humble.

"I can't say that I'm a superpro," he said, working the
controller like an extension of his body. "I can be beat."

Those bold enough to challenge him weren't so lucky. One by
one, while playing "Soul Caliber 2," their video characters
were decapitated, eviscerated and gutted without mercy by
Mellen's on-screen alter ego.

"I'm getting bored," Mellen said in jest as he won game
after game.

Blind since birth when his optic nerve didn't connect
because of Leber's disease, Mellen honed his video game
skills over the years through patient and not-so-patient
playing, memorizing key joystick operations and moves in
certain games, asking lots of questions and paying
particular attention to audio cues. He worked his way up
from games such as "Space Invaders" and "Asteroid," onto the
modern combat games.

"I guess I don't know how I do it, really," Mellen said, as
he continued playing while facing away from the
screen. "It's beyond me."

Mellen knows this much: He started playing at home when he
was about 7.

"He enjoyed trying to play, but he wasn't very good at
first," said his father, Larry Mellen. "But he just kept on
trying. ... He's broken a lot of controllers."

When the question of broken controllers comes up, Mellen
flashes a smile and just shrugs.

"I used to have quite a temper," he said. "Me and
controllers didn't get along very well."

Now they get along just fine.

While playing "Soul Caliber 2," Mellen worked his way
through the introductory screens with ease, knowing exactly
what to click to start the game he wanted.

He rarely asked for help. Once the game started he didn't
need any help.

"How do I move?" an exasperated opponent, Ryan O'Banion,
asked during a battle in which his character is frozen in
place.

"You can't," Mellen answered before finishing him off.

"That's what happens. It's why I don't play him," O'Banion
said after his blood-spattered character's corpse vanishes
from the screen.

How Mellen became so good is a mystery to his father.

"He just sat there and he tried and tried until he got it
right," Larry Mellen said. "He didn't ever complain to me or
anyone about how hard it was."

Mellen hangs out any chance he gets at the DogTags Gaming
Center in Lincoln, which opened last month. Every now and
then someone will come in and think he can easily beat the
blind kid.

That attitude doesn't faze Mellen.

"I'll challenge them, maybe. If I feel like a challenge," he
said, displaying an infectious confidence. "I freak people
out by playing facing backwards."

There's nothing he likes better than playing video games,
Mellen said.

He will be a senior in high school next year. After
graduation, he plans to take a year off because he wants a
break from school.

When he does go to college, Mellen wants to study -- what
else? -- video-game design.