[games_access] SIG Meetings Every Day this Week!

Tim Chase agdev at thechases.com
Tue Oct 4 13:03:20 EDT 2005

Below is the IM transcript from today's meeting.  Due to
Michelle's network problems, she said she wanted a transcript,
and Thomas expressed an interest too.  Hopefully others will find
it interesting (or at least not too boring)

-tim

michelle says:
   ok i'm having some serious network probs

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   OK

michelle says:
   so if i drop out keep talking and then someone save the
   conversation to email me with it

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   ok

michelle says:
   so to my surprise last night

michelle says:
   after re-reading the requirements and after jason from
   igda sent a clarification

michelle says:
   i realized that the longest part of our proposal is our
   abstract
***You are having temporary network problems and are no
longer in this conversation.***

michelle says:
   which needs to be 2000 CHARACTERS

michelle says:
   http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/GDC_2006_Tutorial#Introduction

michelle says:
   so for example

michelle says:
   look at my bio
***michelle has left the conversation.***
***Kevin has left the conversation.***

michelle says:
   http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/GDC_2006_Tutorial#Introduction

michelle says:
   so for example

michelle says:
   look at my bio

michelle says:
   that's 1000 characters

michelle says:
   so...the "meat" of our proposal needs to be twice that
   size

michelle says:
   so that's not a lot

michelle says:
   WHEW

michelle says:
   ok dang

michelle says:
   sorry about this

michelle says:
   i thought this cafe had better wireless

michelle says:
   i have a meeting here at noon so that's why i'm here
   versus my office
***michelle has left the conversation.***
***Kevin has left the conversation.***

michelle says:
   crap ok

Kevin says:
   Well, this is annoying.

michelle says:
   yes it is

michelle says:
   tomorrow i'll be in my office

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   No, 2000 chars is not a lot, ballpark about 400 words
   which is about 1-3 paragraphs.

michelle says:
   yep

michelle says:
   about 2 paragraphs

michelle says:
   so that radically changed what i had written last night

michelle says:
   thinking we had to write 2000 words

michelle says:
   so i'm reworking it

michelle says:
   can you guys work on a title, the take away message and
   intended audience?

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   you have last night's writings posted anywhere?  (that is
   if you want to collaboratively edit...)

michelle says:
   in case i totally lose my network

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   and it is one proposal for the entire tutorial day, not
   one for each speaker?

michelle says:
   no, because i keep losing connection :(

michelle says:
   one proposal

michelle says:
   each speaker needs to send me a 1000 char max bio

michelle says:
   so i need one from each of you

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   OK

michelle says:
   tim -- even if you are not going, can you send a bio and
   contact info

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   alrighty

michelle says:
   we can give your pass away to another person

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   I have last nights writings, just a sec

michelle says:
   if you cant go

michelle says:
   so what i wrote last night

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   not gonna be able to make it, though it would be fun to
   meet ya'll face-to-face

michelle says:
   was taken from the book proposal

michelle says:
   and was more choppy

michelle says:
   ok, that's ok tim -- we're trying to make sure we have a
   lot of conf passes so we can substitute people as needed

michelle says:
   since the igda has given us until friday to do this

michelle says:
   and just told us

michelle says:
   :P

michelle says:
   so if you don't mind sending a short bio, that'd be great

michelle says:
   so i'm going to re-work the abstract (the 2000word thing)

michelle says:
   but we need a catchy title

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   Could the book title work, "Game not over" ?
***michelle has left the conversation.***

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   to further promote it
***Kevin has left the conversation.***

michelle says:
   please talk about:

   * a catchy title
   * takeaway message
   * intended audience

   i have links at the top of the wiki page

   http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/GDC_2006_Tutorial

   that lead to last year's tutorial blurbs from others so we
   have a better sense of what to write

   and please send me your bios and contact info as soon as
   you
   can!

   and email me with the chat!

   thank you so much. i'm sorry about the networking probs.
   so
   annoying...

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   OK

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   I miss much there? :)

   Catchy titles...Thomas suggested "Game not over"

michelle says:
   can you guys forward what i just sent you to tim?

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   yes

michelle says:
   thx!

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   ditto on the thx :)

michelle says:
   good, the title sounds good

michelle says:
   so basically take the audience part from the book proposal
   and condense it

michelle says:
   to 200 characters

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   200?  2000?

michelle says:
   wow. that's about 2 sentences :)

michelle says:
   audience = 200 chars

michelle says:
   http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/GDC_2006_Tutorial

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   (y)

michelle says:
   the breakdown is on here

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   Tim, I've forwarded the e-mails to you now

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   Thanks

michelle says:
   the section of the book proposal called LIST 5 TO 10
   SIGNIFICANT SELLING POINTS OF YOUR BOOK

michelle says:
   can be the idea take away (250 chars max)

Kevin says:
   "Our primary audience is Game Designers, Programmers, and
   Publishers. Designers will be interested new game play
   possibilities, programmers in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and publishers in the effect on their
   customers."

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   good

michelle says:
   i'd sort it a little bit to include accessibility
   somewhere in there but sounds good so far! :)

     michelle has left the conversation.

Kevin says:
   "Our primary audience is Game Designers, Programmers, and
   Publishers. Designers will be interested new game play
   possibilities, programmers in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and publishers in the effect of
   increased accessibility on their customers."

Kevin says:
   How about that one?

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   even better :)

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   >250 chars though :(

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   Perhaps skip the first sentence

Kevin says:
   I'll try to trim it a bit

Kevin says:
   "Game Designers will be interested new game play
   possibilities, programmers in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and publishers in the effect of
   increased accessibility on their customers."

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   Perhaps we could capitalize the professions to make it
   them more visible in the text, to catch the eye

Kevin says:
   "Game Designers will be interested new game play
   possibilities, Programmers in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and Publishers in the effect of
   increased accessibility on their customers."

Kevin says:
   "Game Designers will be interested in new game play
   possibilities, Programmers in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and Publishers in the effect of
   increased accessibility on their customers."

Kevin says:
   Fixed a minor typo

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   or
   GAME DESIGNERS will be interested new game play
   possibilities, PROGRAMMERS in techniques used to date and
   future techniques, and PUBLISHERS in the effect of
   increased accessibility on their customers

Kevin says:
   That would work too

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   "techniques used to date and future techniques" ->
   "present and future techniques" ?

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   yes

Kevin says:
   "Game Designers will be interested in new game play
   possibilities, Programmers in present and future
   techniques, and Publishers in the effect of increased
   accessibility on their customers."

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   188 characters there

Kevin says:
   I don't think we're going to get much closer to the limit

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   It leaves a little room if one needed to sharpen the text
   any.

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   to further clarify the target groups:
   * GAME DESIGNERS will be interested in new game play
   * possibilities
   * PROGRAMMERS in present and future techniques, and
   * PUBLISHERS in the effect of increased accessibility on
   * their customers

Kevin says:
   Game Designers will be interested in new game play
   possibilitiesProgrammers in present and future techniques,
   and Publishers in the effect of increased accessibility on
   their customers."

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   ooh!  bullet points.  lazy readers love bullet points.

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   ;)

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   yes, like me ;)

Kevin says:
   That will work out well - lets do the bulleted list

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   OK, so we have the title and the intended audience
   covered. Should we move on to the "takeaway message" ?

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   Sure

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   just a first draft:
   "Learn why disabled gamers can't play your games, how you
   could meet their needs and what has been done to date" ?

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   perhaps something like "Attendees will learn why game
   accessibility matters and tips for making games more
   accessible"?

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   yes, a combo:
   "Attendees will learn why game accessibility matters and
   tips for making games more accessible. Learn why disabled
   gamers can't play your games, how you could meet their
   needs and what has been done to date"

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   we can bullet-ify it too :)

   Attendees will learn
   -why game accessibilty matters
   -why disabled gamers can't play your games
   -what has been done to date, and
   -how you can meet their needs in the future

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   yes :) I like

Kevin says:
   That looks good

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   cool, should I publish this on the wiki?

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   I reordered your last two, as there's sorta a natural
   progression from now into the future, whereas the previous
   ordering kinda lost the forward-looking perspective.

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   I'd not try and update the wiki in real-time as we're
   typing, but when we're done here, it would certainly be
   good to have on the wiki

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   so do we have more to add / change?

Kevin says:
   I think we're set for today.

thomaswestin = Skype ID says:
   OK, I'll copy paste the sections to the wiki in an hour or two
(need to eat dinner first!)

Kevin says:
   OK, I'll talk to you Wednesday. I've got to go to another
meeting here on campus.

gumnos (Tim Chase) says:
   That was the "intended audience", "idea takeaway", and
   promise to edit the stuff from the book for the "abstract"
   portion.  Yup.  I think we're done.  I've got the logs of
   this all tacked together and prettified a tad, so I can
   email them to ya'll.  Sounds good.