[games_access] Nintendo one handed controller

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Tue Sep 20 01:51:15 EDT 2005

I agree. The point is, there is just not "one" accessible game controller.
I've seen various academic projects which focus on alternative controllers
(my background is music technology and this field has many examples of
alternative controllers as "new musical instruments") and all have been very
different. There was one project (a game for a person with a severe mental
disability, actually outside of the field of music technology) in which the
team built a game solely for one specific user. The controller? A chair
which functioned as a joystick with several features specific for this one
user. I'll dig up the project and will post about it soon. Anyhow, the
controller was a comfortable chair because that was the kind of controller
that fit this user the best. The chair could move in 4 directions (like a
limited joystick) and there was a button on a stick (a bit shaped like a
gear shift in a car) that the user could use to control some aspects of the
game. Now imagine the possibilities, but also, the limitations of such a
controller. The outcome of the project was that designing for a single
person can be very fruitful (it was very hard for the user in question to
use/interact with non-custom technology/real-life items > he could never
play games, due to attention span, etc!). However, it was also very costly,
as you can imagine.

I agree this "one-handed" controller might actually include more gamers to
the Nintendo venture since theoretically there *must* be a target audience
who can only use one hand. That's a good thing (I know I'm not mentioning
that I've left out the left-handed plug-in joystick controller now). But
still, it's obvious that it's not enough since there are many potentional
gamers out there that can't even use a one-handed joystick.
I'm curious: it seems to me that Nintendo has developed (or is developing)
specific games that make maximum use of the possibilities of this
controller. Similar to how Sony built games specific for the EyeToy. Part of
the fun of the game is using the specific controller (with the EyeToy:
seeing yourself on the screen, waving your arms around in midair and still
playing a game is a wonderful experience). This is one aspect of controllers
that needs to be taken into account in my opinion. Still, many games do use
multiple controller inputs (best example are racing games, many can be
controlled either through a racing wheel setup or via the keyboard.) In
these cases the game is more far more important and the controller
experience a lot less. I think it would be wise to focus game accessibility
towards these types of games (controller-independend games).

Greets,

Richard