[games_access] RE: Another list... (and follow up info on Top 3 forindies thread)

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 5 09:27:13 EDT 2006

It's actually it's a lot of the indie devs that are doing more with
accessibility -- like the ones listed below (with the exception, of
course, of value) so the list will more likely be weighted more
heavily towards smaller dev studios and indies anyway. For instance
"Strange Attractors" that was up for a design innovation award at
this year's IGF was a "one button game" (or "one switch" game). One
mod for Doom that was up for the IGF mod awards was a closed
captioning mod that was a giant volunteer effort (and a very
impressive one!). Sadly neither won this year but it shows that the
small companies can come up with some pretty innovative stuff with
regard to accessibility -- stuff that makes game design more exciting
and isn't just something added on later.

Soon we'll have all our slides and such from our one day tutorial on
the wiki in working order (like within the next week) and that will
help provide more resources. It's too bad you had to miss the
sessions -- but we'll be back next year. :) And we're here on this
list all year long! We have lots and lots up our sleeves right now
activities-wise. So hearing what different types of developers are
looking for only helps inform us of our dev audience even more! So
feel free to lurk and un-lurk whenever you'd like.  We're a chatty
bunch (as you have probably noticed...).

Michelle